Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

M.A.C.'s Marilyn Monroe Collection

In recent years I must admit I had been losing interest in M.A.C. Other than a few eye shadows and brushes, their collections where not calling out to me. For example, last year's Bloggers Obsessions (June 2011) but especially Wonder Woman Colors (February 2011) collections where way to much out there for my taste. I am a fan of bright images, cartoon'ish and pop art'ish but not for my makeup. Even when I was in my 20's, bright eye shadows and blushes where not really my thing.

Out comes the new M.A.C. Marilyn Monroe collection!


All I can say is WOW!

First the presentation. These pictures of Marilyn are just amazing! Taken from what is called, the Black Sitting by Milton Green in early 1956. This was just before she left New York for California where she would star in Bus Stop, her best movie in my opinion for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Black velvet, champagne and caviar set the intimate and relaxed mood for the Black Sitting. The end result of what is considered by some as the best Monroe-Green collaboration are sexy, classy and sensual images. While they may appear provocative to some, I don't find them to be so. This is probably because, in my opinion, Marilyn always projects a certain look of innocence, like a little girl playing dress up. 

Upon reading several entries on the subject of the new M.A.C. collection, I was surprised to read negative comments concerning the selection of these pictures for the new makeup. I guess most would have preferred pictures from the 1954 Ballerina Sitting. Although very beautiful as well,"the little girl playing dress up" is even more evident, in these photos and in my view would have steered the collection towards a more summery color selection.

The Ballerina Sitting, Milton Green, New York, 1954


 The Black Sitting, Milton Green, New York, 1956

These pictures show a 29yrs old Marylin who appears to be happy and sure of herself. Sexy and provocative they are quite different from the glamour style of the time. This was during her Actors Studio period, a few months before her marriage with playwright Arthur Miller. It's obvious that she loved the camera and the camera loved her. Sorry, I know this has been said many times.

The M.A.C. Marilyn Monroe Collection is quite stunning. I can easily imagine the legendary bombshell wearing Shopgirl eye shadow, the black Penultimate eye liner (although she apparently usually went for brown eye liner), the Fascinating Eye Kohl on the waterline along with the False Lashes Extreme Black Mascara. Pure Zen Lipstick to create the nude lip look which comes out so beautifully in black and white. Her skin, always flawless, could have been prepped with Forever Marilyn Beauty Powder and defined with a light dusting of Perfect Cheek Powder Blush.

M.A.C. hit the mark with this collection.  Famed makeup artist Gregory Arlt worked closely with M.A.C.'s product development to help create a somewhat updated version of the look of Marylin while at the same time respecting it's essence. You can read about Arlt's research process in an Elle interview here.


Marylin Collection, from $18.00 to $34.00

Available online since September 27th, in stores October 4th.

I have my eyes on Pure Zen lipstick, Vintage Vamp nail polish and will probably be tempted by one of the blushes. I don't know yet if I'll go for Legendary or The Perfect Cheek. Ah! Decisions, decisions!!!
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, but if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best.
Marilyn Monroe 

Thank you Laura! xoxoxo H

Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici


Milton H. Green, article


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...