Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Concealer / Review

I think I must have started to wear concealer when I was about 16. Not because I had dark circles but just to make the area a little lighter. It was also quite useful to hide blemishes. I can't remember which brand my first one was but I know it came from the drugstore, in stick form. It was pretty stiff so you had to warm it a little between your fingers. A few years later I discovered liquid concealers and I never looked back!

Estée Lauder and Clinique are, I believe, the brands who came out with this new type of formula. They where quite similar so sometimes I would get Clinique and sometimes it would be Estée Lauder, depending on Gift with Purchase I guess. I didn't really bother looking at other brands since I was working for Estée Lauder at the time.

My skin was oily so powder was a must and it made the mandatory foundation and concealer completely disappear leaving a flawless finish. I used Estée Lauder's on countless faces and every time it was perfect, even on more mature eyes.

Of course over the years I've tried several others but there was almost always a Lauder or Clinique concealer in my cosmetics bag so some might say that I kind of followed the evolution of both formulas. Last spring I purchased Double Wear Stay-in-Place Concealer in Light and didn't even bother trying it at the counter since it had always worked for me, so far.

How did it perform?

The sponge applicator is what I love most with this type or concealer. Just a few dots you can spread it with either your fingers or a concealer brush. I tend to start with my fingers and finish with the brush. Creamy, it covers well.

I wore it for about a month and started to notice my eye area getting dry. The finish after 3 hours or so would get a little cakey and even a little stiff. Not the look I was going for. Now by that time we where in summer with warmer weather and my combination skin was more on the oily side than dry.

Again, even today I don't have major issues with my eye area. No dark circles just a few wrinkles. *sigh*  I'm pretty thankful for that, I guess wearing sunglasses at practically all times has helped a lot. With this concealer my eye area was starting to look, dare I say, old! Yuck!

Would I still recommend this concealer? Yes

It does get rave reviews. If you don't have a dry eye area and few wrinkles, under powder it does stay in place and gives a good finish. If you start noticing some dryness alternate with a more moisturizing formula. I've used it as a makeup base on my lids and it did a very good job in neutralizing the bit of redness I have there and my eye shadows did stay in place all day with it. I know there are makeup bases on the market specifically for this but I've never bothered with one.


Reviews:

MakeupAlley: 4.2 / 5 lippies for 363 reviews
Beauté-test: 4 / 5 stars for 42 reviews

It retails for $26.00 at Sears and The Bay


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...