Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Carmex Lip Ointment / Review

I had never tried this lip balm. In fact I've only started to see it in drugstores recently. It may have been available for quite some time now but let's just say that I hadn't been paying much attention since I have figured out my winning combination last year. Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm for night and Caudalie Lip Conditioner for daytime are absolute favorites of mine. More information about them here.

For reviews sake I've been trying out different ones, some less expensive options. Here I've decided to compare Carmex Lip Ointment to La Roche Posay Cerralip.

I purchased the basic no flavor ointment in the tube on which you can read "for dry chapped lips and cold sores". When you unscrew the cap you're left with a round top with a little hole in the middle. Press and the balm comes out. The texture, feel on my lips is quite similar to La Roche Posay's Cerralip with a few differences. First unlike LRP's which has no taste at all, Carmex's has a chemical one. Faint but not very pleasant. Fortunately, after 4 or 5 minutes it disappears. Second, and this is quite surprising, it's more soothing and more moisturizing than the more expensive La Roche Posay. Carmex is $2.99!!!

This is the moisturizing lip balm, I have the lip ointment.
The tubes are almost identical.

Although I did find it more moisturizing than the other mentioned, I really didn't care for the taste. I may eventually try another with flavor but for now I'm good.

One last note, it does contain some salicylic acid which is a good ingredient to help with exfoliation. It would be advised to use another lip balm with SPF.

Reviews: 

MakeupAlley: The reviews are I believe all mixed up. They range from 3.0 to 4.5 lippies on a base of 5.
Beauté-test: 4 / 5 stars for 97 reviews.

Ingredients (note these are not in order of concentration):
Petrolatum, lanolin, beeswax, cetyl esters, mineral oil, cocoa butter, fragrance, camphor, menthol, salicylic acid and vanillin, phenol, paraffin liquidum


Screen capture from Top Para
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...