Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Tonka Impériale...

My first! My very first Guerlain lipstick!

In my 20s Guerlain's makeup wasn't that attractive to me and I admit, I was a little puzzled by the Terracotta like, why would anyone use a powder to fake a tan?

Erm, I guess I was a little clueless! To think that now I just can't live without bronzer!

As for lipstick, it's always been Dior and Chanel with a little Lancôme and some Estée Lauder. For about ten years now I've strayed but I'm slowly getting my lipstick mojo back! Got a few Dior, a Givenchy, lusting over a Chanel but my most recent purchase is a Guerlain...

Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Tonka Impériale...




This may not have been the best choice for my first Rouge Automatique because in all honesty the color is a little frosty for my taste but I must say that I'm enjoying the formula a lot and it's the perfect no-mirror-required lipstick! On the sheer side it still leaves enough color to bring life to my lips but if you have a dark pout to begin with you may want to skip that one because all you'll probably get is the shimmer. Mine are medium tinted and so Tonka Impériale gives them just enough kick to look more "polished".




The bullet is a beautiful shimmery bronze reminiscent of some special editions Terracotta releases and what I like about it is on my lips it does pull a little plum which is what I was hoping would happen with La Laque Couleur in Tonka Impériale... *sniff* :(  I reviewed it, here.

About the name, what are tonka beans you ask?

Tonka beans are the seeds of Dipteryx odorata, a tree native to northern South America. The inch-long, black, wrinkly seed has a hard shell, but when grated on a Microplane, it smells sweetly like vanilla, for which it's sometimes used as a substitute, and almonds. (Tonkas also lend that sweet smell to perfume and pipe tobacco.) Though popular in other countries, in the United States tonka beans cannot be used in food, because they contain coumarin, an anticoagulant that can be toxic in large doses.


Image and text from The Perfect Pantry.


Now I definitely have to make a special stop and sample this...




Here is Guerlain's description...

Tonka Impériale is well-named indeed: a subtle blend of balmy scents, rich in contrasting facets, with accents of honey, gingerbread, almond and tobacco. An astonishing construction that blows hot and cold between the uplifting top notes and the sweet, pervasive fullness of tonka bean. Alluring and surprising, this cult ingredient gives the fragrance a rare and memorable personality. 

I do think this would be lovely in winter when one wants to feel all comfy and warm! Oh and by the way it's one of  Sara's from Color me Loud favorites! Have a look at what she had to say about Tonka Impériale in both it's lipstick and nail polish form, here.

Bottom line...

Although I do like the formula a lot, Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Tonka Impérial is not what I would call a must have. The color is a little old school like "been there done that" with it's frosty finish but I think that if you enjoy getting a bit of a tan in the summer this would be an easy no fuss lipstick to own. As mentioned there's a Chanel lipstick that's been calling my name recently but I know that I'll be getting more Guerlain, I just know because it's that nice to wear!

Have you tried Guerlain's Rouge Automatique formula? Which color is your favorite? 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...