Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Notable Reads, Vol. 27...

Things are a little crazy in la maison d'Icaria...

As some of you already know, tomorrow is a big day for me. I start my new job! Woot! What this means? I'm a nervous wreck! I'm very confident about my qualifications but it's still a big deal especially since I've been looking for the past six months. Well it would seem that the saying "good things come to those who wait" can happen because this new career is everything I've been looking for.

Planning ahead...

This past week I've been getting ready. Cleaning the house, making sure I have the right clothes and shoes and of course figuring out a few makeup looks. So far I think I'll be sticking to my plan as far as eye makeup is concerned, keeping it simple so I won't go nuts in the morning.

Oh I've been writing like crazy too! I have several posts lined up so you will have new entries to enjoy. The difference will be that I may not be able to reply to your comments as rapidly as before. A new routine will have to be put in place and some evenings may be a little more hectic than others but I'll do my best to respond as quickly as possible because as you may have guessed, I love getting your feedback.

Another downside and this has already started to happen, is that I will have less time to read other blogs and this means that this weekly post of notable reads may become a bi-weekly or monthly feature. With time I'll adjust I'm sure. Just yesterday I had over 99 new posts on my Bloglovin queue even though I've reduced the numbers of blogs I follow and had to mark them all as read which was a bit of a downer but for now this is the price I must pay to put food on the table.

Yesterday's shopping and a little surprise...

I just had to take advantage of Sephora's 20% off sale and I had a list which I posted yesterday, here. Is it surprising that I went for makeup only?

Guerlain Crazy Terracotta Healthy Glow Powder Compact
2 Rouge Dior lipsticks
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

I will try to take pictures of these today but unfortunately it's raining outside and I don't have any good lighting indoor for this purpose. I'll do my best but unlike some recent purchases I won't be able to wait an entire week to use them. On my recent entry about Rouge Dior Grège 1947 I tried to take a swatch picture but it was pretty bad which I did point out and Melissa from Kiss & Makeup agreed! :)

So, even if the colors are a bit off (they almost always are but then I guess that makes me endearing... no?) I'll still bring you my impressions/reviews of these. I have the distinct feeling that the Guerlain compact will become a staple and will not only replace my regular Terracotta for winter but will have a permanent place in my purse. It's a beauty!

Erm... Is it crazy that I already know what I'll get with my first pay check? :)

So after Sephora... Oh by the way Catherine was with me but as some of you know she hates Sephora with a passion! She's not into makeup at all! What I did was getting her a nice iced mocha coffee from Café Depot and she sat just outside the store waiting patiently. If you look at my Instagram feed you'll see what I mean. Notice the empty cup at her feet. :)

Again, after Sephora we went to The Bay where I figured I would start on my quest for finding a pair of nice work shoes. I found some along with two amazing tops for my girl. My last stop was at the Guerlain counter. I wanted the new Sulfurous Nail Lacquer.

Dupe Alert!!!

I still had Essie Sable Collar on my nails (reviewed here), picked up Sulfurous, took a close look and tried it on my pinkie. They're identical!!! Guerlain has a very but I mean very small edge over Essie in the depth of it's finish but believe me after two days wear there would be no difference at all. I was stunned! Remember I had planned to get a new nail polish? Sulfurous was the one I wanted but given the fact that I have Sable Collar I got an O.P.I chosen by Catherine instead. I saved some monies yay!

Ok so what was the surprise?

By the time I tried on the nail polish Catherine and I were pretty hungry and we needed to sit down. We were on our way out and as I walked by the Estée Lauder counter I remembered that I wanted to try their new fragrance, Modern Muse. As we were stepping away an SA offered me a sample!!!

Estée Lauder OFFERING samples??? I swear I almost fell down! To top if all off, she nicely gave me TWO!

I've worked for Estée Lauder and for years I've been purchasing from the brand some staples but every single times I asked for samples the response was always "no, sorry we don't have any". Is this a new thing? I sure hope so!





So all in all, this was a good week, and yesterday was a good day.

Tomorrow an new schedule, a new life!


What caught my attention recently...

No surprise that some are job related!

Careers in the beauty business, Beauty and the Bullshit.

How To Find The Right Job In The Beauty Industry, British Beauty Blogger.

Every Blogger (gets a little lost sometimes), Wonder Forest.

Frugal Tips: 60 Unusual Tips for your Nail Polish, Frugal Tips.


For your viewing enjoyment...

I thought it would be fun given my new circumstances to have a look at these old videos...

Dolly Parton, Nine to Five, 1980. Watching this one all I could think of was "Thank God for computers!"




Carly Simon Let The River Run, from the 1988 movie Working Girl. If you have the chance, track this movie down. It's a cute one!




Have a great week everyone! Hélène xoxo



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...